Tag:USC Heisman
Posted on: September 16, 2010 8:31 pm
  •  
 

Reggie Bush STILL refuses to admit guilt?

Posted by Adam Jacobi

Give Reggie Bush credit: he's willing to go to enormous lengths to not admit the obvious. Here are the facts: the USC football program is on probation for this first of four years, dealing with a 2-year postseason ban, saw 14 wins and a national title vacated, and working through a 30-scholarship reduction. Former local demigod Pete Carroll had to flee in terror, leaving the program in the hands of human oddity Lane Kiffin. And now Bush doesn't even have his Heisman Trophy, abdicating the honor for the first time in the 75-year history of the award. Surely, surely, this is enough to convince Reggie Bush to come clean about the improper benefits he received as a Trojan, right?

Well, no:

"It's definitely not an admission of guilt. It's me showing respect to the Heisman Trophy itself and to the people who came before me and the people coming after," Bush said after practice with the New Orleans Saints.

"I just felt like it was the best thing to do, the most respectful thing to do because obviously I do respect the Heisman, I do respect all the things it stands for," Bush said. "I felt just to kind of silence all the talk around it, all the negativity around it. I felt like this would be the best decision to do right now so I could focus."

Take that statement, and then try to reconcile it with Bush's press release from earlier in the week when he gave up the trophy:

The persistent media speculation regarding allegations dating back to my years at USC has been both painful and distracting. In no way should the storm around these allegations reflect in any way on the dignity of this award, nor on any other institutions or individuals. Nor should it distract from outstanding performances and hard-earned achievements either in the past, present or future.

I would like to [...] establish an educational program which will assist student-athletes and their families avoid some of the mistakes that I made.

So. Bush admits making mistakes en route to receiving so much negative media attention that he can't, in good conscience, keep the Heisman... but he also refuses to say whether those mistakes have anything to do with the investigation at USC.

The message, as best as we can suss it out from Bush's logic, is that his mistake was receiving media attention in the first place. While from a strictly Socratic standpoint that may be true, he received media attention by being really good at college football, and we're not sure the Heisman Trust is going to be much of a fan of Bush's educational program if that's the only type of mistake he's ever going to cop to.

Posted on: September 14, 2010 5:02 pm
Edited on: September 14, 2010 5:21 pm
 

Reggie Bush forfeits Heisman; should he have?

Posted by Adam Jacobi

The Reggie Bush/Heisman saga has come to an end. The NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reported that Reggie Bush had forfeited his Heisman Trophy, and Bush's statement on the New Orleans Saints' website confirmed the matter shortly thereafter.

Here are some excerpts from Bush's statements:

I know that my victory was made possible by the discipline and hard work of  my teammates, the steady guidance of my coaches, the inspiration of the fans, and the unconditional love of my family and friends. And I know that any young man fortunate enough to win the Heisman enters into a family of sorts. Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name.

I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005. The persistent media speculation regarding allegations dating back to my years at USC has been both painful and distracting.

For the rest of my days, I will continue to strive to demonstrate through my actions and words that I was deserving of the confidence placed in me by the Heisman Trophy Trust. I would like to begin in this effort by turning a negative situation into a positive one by working with the Trustees to establish an educational program which will assist student-athletes and their families avoid some of the mistakes that I made.

While this decision is heart-breaking, I find solace in knowing that the award was made possible by the support and love of so many. Those are gifts that can never be taken away.

If you read carefully, you'll notice that Bush actually admits to making mistakes, although he places some of the blame for the negative situation on the media for "speculation regarding allegations back to my years at USC." Logically, then, it follows that he would have done the Heisman Trophy Trust a substantial favor by owning up to those mistakes and putting them in the public record, no?

And if Bush does that and establishes that educational program, well, wouldn't that outweigh whatever betrayal the Heisman Trophy Trust might have perceived?

Further, it's not as if anything Bush did on the field was invalid. He did rip off all those ridiculous runs. He did average 8.7 yards per carry. He's never been accused of cheating at sports. And frankly, he's not of the worst character of all Heisman winners, past and present. Yet he's the first to forfeit his trophy. We wonder: how many past Heisman winners have skeletons in their closets worse than Bush's? Will Bush be the only Heisman winner to forfeit his trophy? And if not, is that really what the Heisman Trophy thinks is best?

Posted on: September 7, 2010 6:12 pm
 

Heisman Trust denies Bush story, issues statement

Posted by Adam Jacobi

Here's the statement just released by the Heisman Trust in response to the day's earlier reports (emphasis ours):

The status of the USC / Bush matter remains unchanged. Any reports to the contrary are inaccurate. Please refer to July 2010 statement below.

The Heisman Trophy Trust, is a 501(c)(3) charitable trust, which each year contributes significant monies to the underserved of our country.

The Trust will be considering the issues raised in the USC/Reggie Bush matter, and after reaching a decision will publish it, but due to the complex issues involved and the Trust’s desire to reach an appropriate decision, no definitive timetable has been established. Until the matter has been fully considered and a decision is reached, the Trust has no further comment."

William J. Dockery
President
Heisman Trophy Trust

That, of course, stands in direct contrast to Yahoo! Sports' report that the Trust had, in fact, decided to rescind Bush's trophy. How that would work, logistically, is unclear without knowing what (if any) the contractual obligations are between a Heisman recipient and the Trust. If Bush is the rightful owner, after all, what would the Trust actually have to do to get the trophy back?

But fortunately for Bush, that question's still in the realm of the hypothetical--for now.

Posted on: September 7, 2010 10:17 am
Edited on: September 7, 2010 6:14 pm
 

Sources: Heisman Trust to strip Bush of trophy

Posted by Chip Patterson

UPDATE (6:15 ET) - The Heisman Trophy Trust has issued a statement calling the Yahoo! report inaccurate.

UPDATE (3:30 ET) - Heisman spokesman Tim Henning told the LA Times, "The Heisman Trophy Trust has yet to make a decision, and until such time they do we have no further comment."

UPDATE (NOON ET)- ESPN's Chris Fowler just called into SportsCenter to claim that the Yahoo! report "is completely false."  We will continue to update this story as it develops.

USC
athletic director Pat Haden publicly demanded that it be given back, but it is beginning to sound like Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush will have to give back one  of his most valuable pieces of hardware.

Tuesday morning, a Yahoo! report detailed reports from sources that indicate that the Heisman Trophy Trust is expected to strip Bush of college football's most prestigious individual award by the end of September.

Two sources close to the Heisman trust said the body’s investigation is coming to a close, and will ultimately concur with the NCAA's determination that Bush was ineligible during his Heisman-winning season in 2005. Because of that independent conclusion, sources said the trust will relieve Bush of the award and leave the honor for that season vacant.

The sources said Bush met with Heisman representatives last month at the New York law offices of Emmet, Marvin & Martin. The sources would not reveal details of that meeting.

The report continues to detail the investigation process, which was done internally by the Trust and took place over the last three months.  It also reports that Bush was given an opportunity to "impact the decision."

The NCAA has already ordered USC to remove all references to Bush from its sporting venues and promotional materials, as well as erase any statistics from games when he was ineligible.  The school has given back its copy of the award, but Bush has yet to speak up except for a brief apology to the school through Haden.

If the sources are correct, the ruling from the Trust would eliminate any possibility of the award being given to the runner-up, former Texas quarterback Vince Young.  Awarding Young the trophy was a suggestion that was supported by many, particularly Longhorns head coach Mack Brown.

Keep it here with the College Football Blog for more updates on this story throughout the day.

For more breaking news and analysis, follow us on Twitter @CBSSportsNCAAF or Subscribe to our RSS Feed
Posted on: September 7, 2010 10:17 am
Edited on: September 7, 2010 6:14 pm
 

Sources: Heisman Trust to strip Bush of trophy

Posted by Chip Patterson

UPDATE (6:15 ET) - The Heisman Trophy Trust has issued a statement calling the Yahoo! report inaccurate.

UPDATE (3:30 ET) - Heisman spokesman Tim Henning told the LA Times, "The Heisman Trophy Trust has yet to make a decision, and until such time they do we have no further comment."

UPDATE (NOON ET)- ESPN's Chris Fowler just called into SportsCenter to claim that the Yahoo! report "is completely false."  We will continue to update this story as it develops.

USC
athletic director Pat Haden publicly demanded that it be given back, but it is beginning to sound like Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush will have to give back one  of his most valuable pieces of hardware.

Tuesday morning, a Yahoo! report detailed reports from sources that indicate that the Heisman Trophy Trust is expected to strip Bush of college football's most prestigious individual award by the end of September.

Two sources close to the Heisman trust said the body’s investigation is coming to a close, and will ultimately concur with the NCAA's determination that Bush was ineligible during his Heisman-winning season in 2005. Because of that independent conclusion, sources said the trust will relieve Bush of the award and leave the honor for that season vacant.

The sources said Bush met with Heisman representatives last month at the New York law offices of Emmet, Marvin & Martin. The sources would not reveal details of that meeting.

The report continues to detail the investigation process, which was done internally by the Trust and took place over the last three months.  It also reports that Bush was given an opportunity to "impact the decision."

The NCAA has already ordered USC to remove all references to Bush from its sporting venues and promotional materials, as well as erase any statistics from games when he was ineligible.  The school has given back its copy of the award, but Bush has yet to speak up except for a brief apology to the school through Haden.

If the sources are correct, the ruling from the Trust would eliminate any possibility of the award being given to the runner-up, former Texas quarterback Vince Young.  Awarding Young the trophy was a suggestion that was supported by many, particularly Longhorns head coach Mack Brown.

Keep it here with the College Football Blog for more updates on this story throughout the day.

For more breaking news and analysis, follow us on Twitter @CBSSportsNCAAF or Subscribe to our RSS Feed
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com